Submission Information for Williwaw Publishing
Alaska Weather Calendar
Have any good Alaska weather photos? Each year we publish approximately 40 of them in the Alaska Weather Calendar. We pay for photos with cash and calendars.
We are now accepting submissions year-round for the Alaska Weather Calendar. The pdf guidelines posted below give all the details and are updated each fall. Or if you are comfortable with a skeletal, bullet list here are the high points:
- Although submissions are accepted year-round, each calendar issue needs to go to press eventually and the photos are usually chosen by January or early February of the year prior to the cover year, so get your photos in by December, or early January or they may have to wait till the next calendar.
- I’m looking for sharp, well exposed photos with strong weather and Alaska themes
- Please add your name to the file metadata of each photo
- Provide info about your photos, preferably in the file metadata
- Photos can be submitted via email to photos at williwaw dot com if the total size does not exceed ~15-20 Mb
- Larger submissions can be mailed on a disc or sent via an online file depository such as https://www.wetransfer.com/ or https://www.hightail.com/ or Dropbox or others.
- I need to know if you’ve used any special effects, edits or adjustments on your photos
- We pay $50-200 per photo (depending on size) on publication, approximately May 1
- Published photographers also get two free calendars and a link to their website
- Yes, we do still accept slides and even prints–please refer to the complete guidelines
- The special section subject for the 2023 calendar will be Astronomy in Alaska, focusing on what makes it unique up here (including benefits and challenges). Of course tie-ins with the weather is a prime topic. I’m looking for photos, plus any anecdotes or special info that I might not have or think of that well illustrate this theme. Also, if you are an astronomer by profession or hobby, and would be willing to help edit the piece, I’d be especially grateful for your involvement.
For all the details download:
If you wish to be placed on our photographer’s email list, go to our subscribe page, check the photographer information box (and other lists if you like), enter your email address, and hit the subscribe button. After confirming, you will get very occasional emails tailored for photographers.
Have an idea?
We’re open for proposals on books or other publications. We publish Alaska non-fiction, especially earth sciences, natural history, history etc. Our niche so far has centered around weather and climate, and this subject area we are not restricting to Alaska. Start by writing or emailing us with a simple query outlining what you would like to accomplish. We will try to acknowledge each such query, and then go to the next step if interested, so don’t send any sample chapters, etc., at first. We have no plans to start publishing fiction, poetry, cookbooks, etc.